Sunday, June 29, 2014

What is Appa doing in Hawaii?

Resting for our next leg!

Been plugging away at some boat projects.
I believe that I have fixed the fuel leak.  I had fuel coming out of the filler hose at the tank.  Old crap hose clamps and someone did a terrible job of cutting the hose led to us leaking fuel.  I was unsure if the tank was leaking or what.  I did notice that we seemed to leak when filling the boat with diesel.  The bottom of the tank was covered in fuel so I cleaned the hell out of the tank and also saw some fuel dripping off the filler hose.  I am thankful that my tank is extremely easy to get to other than emptying the locker completely out.  But that is easily done.
So I took off 15 gallons, went to West Marine and got some T-bolt hose clamps and then hack-sawed off the old end and cleaned everything up.  After that was done, I put the hose back on and PRESTO!  No more leaks.  For now.   
Old hose.  You can see the fuel on the hose.
I still have to cut the new batten for the mainsail and then just a bit more cleaning and reorganizing.  Basically the boat is ready to go.  I'm just trying to find a better spot for stuff.  Trying to keep the sliding around of provisions.  Make the boat a bit more quiet.
Crawling once more into the locker.

I am draining the tank here.  You can see the membrane for the watermaker in this picture also.  It is the white tube with red end cap.
 Of course I filled the tank to the top and now had to take off 15 gallons so I could pull the hose off and cut the old part off.  Thanks to Adam and Rachel on SV Moments for letting me borrow their spare jugs.
 Had to clean the bilge (again) to get rid of the diesel and after cleaning it, I decided to put our spare water jugs under the floor by the mast.  At least for now.
 Appa's new slip at the public marina.  End of G dock.  Long walk to the boat but it is cheap.  40 cents a foot!!
 I go to the Hawaiian Yacht Club for showers and such.  This is the entrance.  They are having a tough time financially and are scrambling to make ends meet.  Very nice club with a great friendly feeling.
 This guy here is 100% pure Hawaiian (so he says).  Brian and I met him at a club one night.  We had a blast with him.  He has this complicated Hawaiian name.  Kompobo or something.  Nice cat.
 They don't have this picture in the brochures!
 One ugly boat.  See out off the Waikiki Beach once and awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment