Thursday, May 23, 2013

Missed it by that much!


Got the new mast collar in from Sparcraft.  Almost matches.  The new one is about 1-2mm too small.  It should work.  I am dropping it off with my rigger, Chris Tutmark, today to see what he thinks.  I will probably have to fill the existing mounting holes that are in the deck with epoxy and then drill new ones.  The rubber boot will also have to be trimmed or we can try something like spar-tite.   I'll ask today about that also.  

Got my spare alternator back from Ballard Electric yesterday.  Amp-tech 120 amp model.  Needed new everything basically.  $170 or so.  Next thing to take to them is the windlass motor and the alternator that is on the motor.  I'm trying to make sure that we won't have electrical issue once in Mexico.  Yeah right.  Boats break.  Especially mine.  


The new rigging is here and getting installed.  Nice and shiny.  I sure hope that we aren't using that crap that will rust right away.  This other Wauquiez that I was looking at had new rigging put on in SF couple years ago, already rusting.  Looked like shit.  I am told that we are using the best stuff.  I forget the brand.  Anyway, Tutmark stands by his stuff.




This is what I am talking about when I say the previous owner just didn't do things 100% right.  Maybe he wasn't aware.  These are the spreader caps or ends.  They are suppose to capture the shrouds.  Never minding the crack in the one (man am I glad that we pulled the rig), the one on the right is done correctly.  The one on the left used a bolt with WASHERS (not big ones either) to "capture" the shroud.  Click on the photos to see what I mean.  Took us 10 minutes to do the job right.  We are finding all sorts of half-assed things done to the rigging.  This is a boat that raced off-shore.
I'll fix the stuff.  And do it right.  The way it should be.


Back in the water sans no mast.  No sure if you can see it here but I raised the waterline also.  Appa had the double blue boot stripe.  Painted over that.  Amazing how high in the water she rides with no rigging.




Shaft-shark installed.  Tightened and locked in place with the goo they sent me.  Sharp as hell.  Of course i couldn't find the stickers that should be placed near the waterline to warn people of that sharp ass thing down there.  It will be a pain to have it there I figure.  I might even take it off if I deem it too dangerous.  I have a thing to put around it when we are diving on the boat.  Have to get it on the shark without cutting one's self first though.


No comments:

Post a Comment